Sunday 1 July 2012

A Rather Sad Week

It has been a rather sombre week for my family as sadly my grandfather passed away last Wednesday. And for Jews, death means one thing – all systems go! With a funeral usually held within 24 hours and traditionally a week of prayers and mourning afterwards there’s lots to do. Although we are certainly a very Jewish family, we are not too religious and with an Aunt in Spain the funeral was held on Friday and there was only one night of prayers. However, where we kept (and always do keep) very much in line with tradition was the food. It’s funny isn’t it, at times of crises it’s so often food that is the familiar and comfortable. No matter how exotic our tastes and culinary skills we return to time honoured tradition in times like this.

So for us this meant a few things; After the service it was bridge rolls topped with smoked salmon, cream cheese, egg mayo and chopped herring (separately!), platters of herring, piles of fish balls and of course, olives and pickled cucumbers (all fish so there’s no problem with Kashrut). For dinner that night we ate chicken soup with kneidlach and lochschen and a casserole, none of which was prepared by a family member as where some might serve tea for comfort, Jews bring food. And for lunch before prayers we had viennas and potato salad (see here for explanation of food and terms). And yet, so often throughout this weekend I’ve had no appetite, now that’s not to say I haven’t eaten, for as my mum says ‘if you don’t eat, you die’ and we really couldn’t have any more of that right now.

But of course, G-d forbid we don’t have anything to serve at prayers. So along with the pear tart that my grandmother’s friend so kindly brought her, the Danish pastries (also ordered from the deli) and the apricot cake brought to my mother (along with a fridge full of food) I decided that I needed something to do, so I got in the kitchen and made some cakes. I’m afraid I won’t include a recipe here, not because I want to keep it for myself, but because for once a post isn't about my food. Though they were truly delightful and nobody knew they were gluten free! I like to think Grandpa would have been happily munching on them (despite their sugar content and his diabetes!).


Whipped cream icing, fresh strawberries and dark chocolate shavings


Then it was all over. We had some good hugs, people left and it was time for me to come home, but not before a quick smoked salmon sandwich on rye bread.

So to all the wonderful people that have brought food, kind words or a shoulder to cry on I can only thank you for all your generosity. And to Grandpa, a man who truly loved his food, this one’s for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment