Monday 17 September 2012

Frozen Spinach

As I said, I’m moving out very soon (this week in fact…I must get packing!) and have been using up what’s in the freezer when along came a pack of frozen spinach. Originally bought as a substitute for fresh in Saag Aloo (I promise I’ll post a recipe, but I seem to have lost the photos and thought I’d get this one up first), I just keep finding it more and more useful. Although it does cook down into a rather mushy substance and I would not advise serving it as a side alone, it does wonders to bulk up stir fries, use it in curries or stuff your lamb with it. Oh, and it won’t go off!

Spinach and Mint Stuffing



As well as substituting for fresh spinach in my previous recipe, you could also try this version.

Ingredients


1 small or ½ white onion
1 clove garlic
1 red chilli
A few handfuls of frozen spinach
Small handful of mint leaves
Small handful of parsley leaves
1 slice stale bread


Dice the onions, chilli and garlic. Slowly cook with a glug of olive oil for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure it doesn’t burn. Meanwhile, whiz the bread in a food processor to make breadcrumbs and bake in a high oven for 5 minutes or so until crisp.


Add the frozen spinach to the onion mixture and turn up the heat slightly. Cook until the spinach has defrosted, using a wooden spoon to separate it (mash it up!?) as it cooks.


Once the spinach has all defrosted add the breadcrumbs, stir in and cook for a few more minutes before turning off the heat and adding the mint and parsley (roughly chopped).


Stuff into meat (I did it with lamb, it was delish) or cook in a small and shallow oven dish for 15-20 minutes in the oven. 


No comments:

Post a Comment