Saturday 15 September 2012

Stock Cupboard Stir Fry

She also included these lovely chopsticks!

I recently participated in Foodie Pen Pals for the first time, this is a scheme where each month you get somebody whom you send a parcel of foodie related goodies to, and somebody else sends you a monthly treat. In September, my box came from a lovely lady also called Charlie who sent me a box with a lot of Asian goodies in. Well I don’t know if she realised how amazingly useful this would be!

I’m moving out of my house very soon and so its got to that time where I HAVE to use up what is in the house and am definitely not allowed to just go out and buy loads of other ingredients. Well, luckily enough Charlie had sent me a packet of udon noodles (my favourites, they are like wiggly worms) which meant that all I needed to conjure up were a few veggies and bobs your uncle, you are done! Pretty much any vegetables will do, though I’d try to include some onion for flavour.  I used…1/2 sweet red pepper, ¼ white onion, 4 mushrooms, handful frozen spinach and ½ green chilli.

The key to stir-fries is written in the title, they need to be cooked on high and kept constantly moving. This ensures the veg keep their crunch and is a great speedy meal as it’s ready in less than 10 minutes.

Essential Ingredients


1 tablespoon sesame oil (actually, this isn’t essential but if you don’t have it  it is well worth thinking about getting some in if you enjoy oriental cooking)
1 tablespoon flavourless oil (light olive, vegetable, groundnut)
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 lime (juice of)
1 tablespoon honey
1 packet soft noodles

Heat the oils in a wok on high and add the chilli and garlic keeping it moving, when it is just starting to colour add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes KEEP IT MOVING.


Add the pepper (or harder vegetables) and frozen spinach and cook for a minute before adding the soy sauce, lime juice and honey. 


Cook for another 2-3 minutes before adding the mushrooms (or softer vegetables) and a minute or so later, the noodles.Check that the liquid and add more soy sauce if needed then cook for 2-3 minutes and serve.  


No comments:

Post a Comment